Besiktas stands on the water's edge just beyond Dolmabahce Palace. Its present name means cradle stone, of doubtful origin, though one colorful tale attributes it to a stone that was brought here. The Byzantine Emperors had a palace here, and so too did later Ottoman Sultans, in particular Selim III whose beautiful wooden palace was replaced by his cousin Mahmut II with a grandiose marble edifice.
Along the waterfront, is the Painting and Sculpture Museum. In it are Turkish paintings and sculptures of the 19th and 20th centuries. The Maritime Museum includes a range of navigational instruments, ships figureheads, arms, uniforms, models, paintings and memorabilia.
On the other side of the road is Sinan Pasa Mosque built by his namesake, the architect Sinan. Sinan Pasa became Grand Admiral four years after Barbaros death.
Ciragan Palace, the palace of illuminations, stands on the edge of the Bosphorus about 500 meters from Besiktas. It was yet another work of the Balyan family, designed by Nigogos and built by Sarkis for Sultan Abdul Aziz, and completed in 1874. Behind and beyond Ciragan Palace,